Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Turning a Passion into a Big Event
Ever since I sat behind the wheel of a 1973 Firebird Trans Am, I have always been interested in classic muscle cars. I grew up working on a few different cars: This ’73 Firebird, a ’74 Ford-250 Ranger XLT, and also a little bit on a 1949 Lincoln. The enjoyment of cars has always been a passion amongst the boys in our family as well as with fellow neighbors and friends. Just this last summer, my father, my brother and I were appointed to be in charge of our city’s first annual classic car show. We became very excited at this chance to make something big of it. We knew that we would find some new friends with our same interests, as well as be able to help support the local businesses in downtown Saratoga through all of the foot traffic and extra exposure during the day of the show. Much was to be done to prepare the downtown area for the show. First we had to find nearly 100 cars to be in the show. We needed sponsors of all kinds, we needed security, we needed welcome packets for the participants, as well as a primary lunch provider, a live band (including a stage), public porta-potties, prizes and awards, raffle items, as well as many other things to prepare the city for this big event. All of this came to be because we love cars so much. I can’t explain the feeling of being connected to a big powerful V8 engine, sitting low to the ground and feeling within your whole frame the vibration of the gas hungry engine, just waiting to be slammed with fuel to burn some rubber and punish the pavement. Some say it’s just the need for speed. But it is much more than that. The love I have for beautiful muscle cars just gets my blood moving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment