Last night there was a train of events that led to a different and exciting evening. I was leaving class and decided to go to the bookstore to buy a few school supplies. I got thirsty and went over to the "Cougar Eat" to get some water. I then continued over to the bathrooms, and because I was already that far by then, I checked out the dollar movie showings in the Varsity Theater. I cruise by on occasion to see what possible date opportunities come up. I walked by the front, and a girl handed me a flier, telling me to come in and participate. Little did I know it was a game show/contest for guys and girls to win a date, either with the new Mr. President of the BYUSA organization, or for the guys, a date with a current Cougarette, which are members of the highly accredited Dance Team here at BYU, and just about in the nation. I know well about the cougarette dance team because my mom was on the team as well when she was a student here in the 70's. So I strolled in thinking, "Hey, might as well, eh?" Besides, Cougarettes are all very talented and dedicated girls, and I thought it would be neat to meet one that is currently on the team.
While walking in, I filled out a sheet of questions that would be used to eliminate contestants. I was the first person in the auditorium and kicked back until the event took off. People began coming in and soon enough the event began. There was a bachelor that came out blindfolded, and a number of female contestants went up to test their answers on the sheet, and then later be challenged by the young mans own questions of elimination. Before too long, a young girl won and they moved on to the evenings main advertised event; the date with the cougarette. I figured I'd do it just for some fun to see how far I could get. Besides, I had heard that the planned and donated date was for this Friday evening, and I had plans to go to a big and long awaited mission reunion. The time came and we were called up. I jumped on stage with around 25 other guys and Olivia (the cougarette) began going through her answers on the other side of the curtain,. Many were eliminated but luckily my answers held out strong. Then it was time for Olivia's own questions of elimination.
First off, Olivia said that shed loved Justin Bieber, and that her Bieber fever pushed her into asking each guy to take the mic, and sing their best Justin Bieber song. The song, "Baby" began to play and the mic was passed around every 20 seconds. I knew the song, but not well enough to know the exact melody and words in the verses, so luckily when the chorus came I was able to sing my pipes out with some confidence. Luckily, my number was not picked to be eliminated. More questions followed, and I couldn't believe that I was moving up in the ranks.
As it went on, one question was to give our best pick-up line. She said it would also be better to say it in another language if we were able to do so. Spanish is what I know best, so when I got the mic, I told her, "Señorita, venga conmigo y juntos exploraremos las maravillas del cielo..." (Come with me young miss, and together we will explore the marvelous wonders of the sky's). Saying this in my best deep and raspy voice kept me alive, and I moved onto the next round.
Next was exactly what I had randomly thought up, which I had sarcastically hoped for while going up on stage; a dance-off. She said that being a cougarette, she enjoys dancing, and that she wanted us to give our best dance moves in around 20 seconds. Some music came on, and I was selected to go first. Since Olivia could not see any of this, she was required to go by the volume of the cheering crowd. With the song, "Walk it Out" playing loud, I did my goofy hip-hop walk towards the audience and continued with some Michael Jackson moves, the worm, a back-flip/tuck and then some funky chest throws. It was pretty funny and interesting coming up with whatever was on my mind. The following contestants went, and surprisingly, the digital decibel meter read that I was the one that got the crowd cheering the loudest. The others had tied with the same reading on the meter, which required them to duel it out, completing this poem requested by Olivia: Roses are red, violets are blue... and so forth. Each one did their best to complete it One was eliminated and once again I moved on!
By this time, and in disbelief, I had made it to the final round . In her final question she asked us to give an example of a good date in which we only had twenty dollars to spend. The other guy went first, and he mentioned doing some motocross riding along with a few other things, and ended it with dinner at The Olive Garden. An impressive date idea I must admit. Olivia congratulated him saying, "oooh, Garden is my middle name!" or something similar. Then it was my turn. I had nothing in mind, so I just started rambling. I mentioned going horseback riding at a mans house, who is in our church group, where the horses would be provided for me, and then I continued saying that we would build a bonfire, play some music with my harmonica, learn some tantalizing moves in a game of chess, and then go to a secret hole-in-the-wall restaurant. The questions were over. She had to decide who she would eliminate based on that very answer. As she gave her reasoning, she said that she had a bucket list of 100 things, and though she had completed over 40 of those activities, horseback riding was still something she had yet to check off! I thought to myself, "Wow, how randomly cool is this?".
So I ended up winning the date with Olivia the cougarette. they put her blindfold back on and brought her out from the other side of the curtain. We stood back to back as the crowd counted down from 10 to 1, upon which Olivia and I both turned to give one another a greeting hug, and boy was she cute!
It was a very unexpected and interesting night, but it turned out to be quite fun. I guess that I just happened to be in the right place at the right time! I look forward to the date with Olivia this Friday at Fat-Cats, along with the other winning contestants and their dates. Olivia seems like a fun person and is a very pretty girl. Hopefully, as well, we can swap some funky dance moves! hahaha
Cody and the Cougarette--it could be the next YA novel.
ReplyDelete